A little history put together by PDP Lucille Cousins, "Fifty Golden Years of Service, 1925-1975".
"The American Veterans of Foreign Service was organized as a National Society in September, 1899 in Columbus, Ohio and chartered in October, 1899. It was the parent unit with eligibility requirements practically the same as those of our present Veterans of Foreign Wars organization. Auxiliaries were formed in various areas. In 1909 Mrs. Weidemyer of Reading, Pennsylvania, appeared before the encampment by invitation and stated that the Ladies in Reading had formed a local Auxiliary to Willitto Post and wished to become a part of a National Auxiliary. Favorable action was taken and the Commander-In-Chief issued a National Charter, August, 1913, in Denver, Colorado, the American Veterans of Foreign Service and the National Society of the Philippines joined forces and the following year the name Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States was chosen. Nothing was done about an Auxiliary to the Veterans of Foreign Wars until 1914 prior to the National Convention held in Pittsburgh. At the Convention, the Commander-In-Chief Rice Means organized and obligated the Ladies Auxiliaries into a National Organization." In 1921 the area of California to read more click here
To obtain information about joining this very elite organization, please click here.